Position Title: Educator
Number of Positions: 1-2
Organization: Nature’s Backpack Land-Based Learning Centre
Location: Just outside Rollingdam, NB (13 min from St. Stephen)
Position Type: PART-TIME, with potential of full time
Start Date: September
Hours: 8am – 4:30pm (some weekends
Do you love nature, working with children/youth and explore new things? Do you enjoy building fires, tracking wildlife, geeking over plants and signs, and being outdoors in all weather? Are you a life-long learner? Are you seeking something different and willing to grow with an amazing company?
If you answered yes, then you may be interested in joining our team.
About Nature’s Backpack
Nature’s Backpack Land-Based Learning Centre(NBLBLC) is a non-profit incorporated company established in March 2022. It is in relationship building with the Peskotomuhkati Nation in New Brunswick as well as the Nation in Maine, USA. In New Brunswick the Peskotomuhkati Nation is not recognized by the Federal Government. During the Colonization, many of the tradition keepers, Elders and Language Keepers moved down to what is now known as Maine, USA. Covid-19 has hindered the meeting with the Elders and Knowledge Keepers. Currently NBLBLC is working on dates to meet with the Elders to discuss our mission and vision and guide together in decolonizing the education system for our youth. Since the process of relationship building takes time, we are honoured to have the trust of the First Nation communities in New Brunswick and look forward to working with them to bring their worldview, language, and way of knowing to the youth in Charlotte County.
Our goal is to offer multiple views of land-based teachings along side the western educational system. We aim to teach youth to create reciprocal relations with the land and become better stewards of the land in the community.
Check our website naturesbackpack.ca for more info.
- identify with our mission, vision, and values
- French is an asset (or other language)
- naturalist knowledge of local ecosystems and outdoor skills
- be enthusiastic, outgoing, and flexible
- experience working with children and youth
- have a desire to grow with Nature’s Backpack and further own naturalist and crafting skills
- be prepared and willing to work outdoors in all weather all year round
- Early Childhood Education, Forest School Practitioner, Teacher Certification or equal
- outdoor education training and/or naturalist skills
- survival/wilderness skills
- we encourage applications with a range of lived experiences and identities to apply
- co-lead/lead programs alongside experienced instructors for 3-16 year olds
- co-lead/lead programs for local organizations and schools
- take leadership in program games, activities, songs, stories, etc.
- opportunity to coordinate and facilitate summer camps
- ensure all Health and Safety standards are met
Please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Your cover letter should be one page in length and include:
- where you saw this job posting
- why you are interested in Nature’s Backpack and the Land-Based Educator Role
- brief description of your relevant skills, experience and aptitudes
Applicants who do not meet all the required qualifications but have transferable skills, experience, aptitudes are encouraged to apply and explain their relevance to the role in the cover letter.
Nature’s Backpack is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to promoting equity and diversity within our workplace and community. We encourage all qualified applicants with an entrust in advancing our mission, vision, and values to apply.
Send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]