Position: Land-Based Educator (contract/part-time) start January 2022
Location: St. Stephen/Rollingdam and surrounding area
Do you love nature, working with children/youth and explore new things? Do you enjoy building fires, tracking wildlife, geeking over plants and signs, and being outdoors in all weather? Are you a life-long learner? Are you seekng something different and willing to grow with an amazing company?
If you answered yes then you may be interested in joining our team.
Nature’s Backpack is an independent private facility opperating out of Rollingdam, NB on 200 acres of land that is bordered by the Digdequash River. We are forever evolving to become a community integrated land-based organization. We are small bu twith a mighty goal and passion to offer unique educational options for local families that focus on meetng the child where they are developmentally and on their educatonal journey. Our mission is to offer hands-on interactive, experienctial land-based learning and wellness to formal/non-formal educators and families to develop reciprocal relationships to the land and community.
- be at least 18+
- indentify with our mission, vision, and values
- French is an asset (or other language)
- naturalist knowledge of local ecosystems and outdoor skills
- be enthusiastic, outgoing, and flexible
- experience working with children and youth
- have a desire to grow with Nature’s Backpack and further own naturalist and crafting skills
- be prepared and willing to work outdoors in all weather all year round
- Early Childhood Education, Forest School Practitioner, Teacher Certification or equal
- outdoor education training and/or naturalist skills
- survival/wilderness skills
- we encourage applicaitons with a range of lived experiences and identities to apply
- be available for at least one program/week (2-8 hours) from January-June (may have an option to continue) which includes 30 min of preperation/organization time at the beginning of the program and 15 minute debrief at the end of the program
- co-lead/lead programs alongside experienced instructors for 3-16 year olds
- co-lead/lead programs for local organizations and schools
- take leadership in program games, activities, songs, stories, etc.
- opportunity to coordinate and facilitate summer camps
- ensure all Health and Safety standards are met
Please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Your cover letter should be one page in length and include:
- where you saw this job posting
- why you are interested in Nature’s Backpack and the Land-Based Educator Role
- brief descripton of your relevant skills, experience and apptitudes
Applicants who do not meet all the required qualifiacations but have transferable skills, experience, apptitudes are encouraged to apply and explain their relevance to the role in the cover letter.
Nature’s Backpack is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to promoting equity and diversity within our workplace and community. We encourage all qualified applicatnts with an entrust in advancing our mission, vision, and values to apply.