We do our best to explain our policies below. If you have any further questions, please contact us at [email protected]
To support long-term mentoring relationships, we offer pre-registration privileges to participants who were registered in the same session previously. Registration instructions will be emailed to all those qualifying for pre-registration.
Pre-registering siblings: In an effort to support returning families and maintain family connections, we also welcome pre-registration for siblings interested in joining a program for the first time.
Following pre-registration, open registration is publicly available on a first-come, first-served basis. Dates for open registration are communicated on our website, newsletter, and social media (Facebook), (Twitter) and (Instagram).
Generally, a deposit of at least $50 is required for each program registration. Some courses do not have a deposit option and for some courses, a deposit greater than $50 is required. Deposit requirements for a specific course are indicated on the registration system.
If a program is full, we encourage you to register to the waitlist!There is no fee associated with registering to a waitlist, nor any commitment involved; however, we ask that you only add yourself to the waitlist for programs that you are interested in and available to join. If a spot becomes available for your family, we’ll contact you via the primary email address provided with a specific deadline to accept or decline (typically 48 hours – 1 week depending on the program’s start date). If nothing is heard by the specified deadline, we’ll offer the spot to the next person. Spots are generally offered in the order that waitlist registrations are received. (Occasionally, for quick turn-around times, we may offer the spot to several families on a first-come-first-serve basis. This will always be made clear in the email.
We do our very best to provide a positive environment for all our participants. If a participant requires special accommodations, please elaborate on these as much as possible in their application. Our team will be in touch to further discuss how we can best provide support. If participants with special needs require more support than we are able to provide and this information is not as part of the application process, participation in the program may not be possible. Read our Accessible Customer Service Policy.
If a caregiver is aware that they will be late, we ask that they contact instructors at the phone number provided in their Welcome Email/Package. Due to the costs incurred when a caregiver is late and to respect the time of our instructors, a late fee will be charged for any child who has not been picked up by a program’s end time. Unless stated otherwise, a standard late fee of $1/participant/minute applies for all children’s programs. Payment in cash should be given to the instructor present upon pick-up.
Nature’s Backpack designs and implements programs based on enrolment. We invest in program planning, site licenses, equipment and other costs before the program begins. These expenses cannot be recovered in the event of a cancellation. When considering a cancellation, please be aware and respectful of our policies and commitment to facilitating quality programs. All cancellations must be requested in writing by emailing [email protected]
Season Specific Policies
Weekly Programs includes Children, Teen and Family programs running from September – June, including Wild Wee Ones, Wild Things, Forest Fridays and Equity Teen Weekends.
- A deposit of at least $500 is required for each program registration (for some programs, a greater deposit may be required. Of this, $50 is non-refundable.
- A full refund, less a $50 administration fee/program session/person, will be issued to any cancellation made during the notice period of 28 calendar days or more prior to the start date of the program.
- We offer a two week trial period for all programs except Equity Teen Weekends. If a cancellation is made within the first two weeks of the program, the cancellation fee will reflect a pro-rated price.
- *The trial period for Equity Teen Wilderness Adventure Program is one program day. If a cancellation is made within 7 calendar days after the first program day, the cancellation fee will reflect a pro-rated price for 1 program day.
- **Due to the nature of this program, there is no trial period for our Equity Teen Wilderness Adventure Program.
- Cancellations after the two week trial period and before December 15th will result in a 50% reimbursement of the program tuition.
- No refunds will be issued after December 15th.
- We reserve the right to cancel a program or change a program’s duration, price or location.
- If a program is cancelled or changed due to weather, no refund will be issued. Where possible, arrangements will be made for a make-up day.
- If a program is cancelled or changed due to low enrolment, a full refund will be issued
We recognize that extenuating circumstances exist. For cancellations due to medical illnesses, or for any other compassionate reason, please apply in writing to [email protected] If the reason is medical- or illness-related please include official documentation.
The above policy is not applicable during a time of force majeure or circumstances beyond our control (e.g. pandemic, quarantine, natural disaster, etc.).
Covid-19: Though we are currently able to operate programs, there remains the possibility that we may need to shut down due to government mandate or other Covid-related circumstances. Read our COVID-19 Policy.
- We are not able to guarantee a notice period. However, we will do our very best to advise families as soon as we are able.
- In the case that we need to cancel programs due to Covid-19, we will not accept individual cancellation requests.
- Families will receive a 50% prorated refund per day missed.
Camps: Summer and March Break
A full refund, less a $50 non-refundable administration fee/week/person, will be issued to any cancellation made during the notice period of 28 calendar days or more prior to the camp’s start date.No refunds will be issued for cancellations made less than 28 days before the camp’s start date.
Behaviour: Campers are expected to honour the Nature’s Backpack Code of Conduct. We reserve the right to dismiss a camper whose behaviour is out of line with this Code of Conduct in a way that puts themself or others at risk. No refund will be issued for dismissals.
Weather: All outdoor camps run rain or shine; therefore, we don’t provide refunds or credits for days missed due to weather. All children should come to camp with weather-appropriate clothing and related gear. In the event that extreme weather jeopardizes the health and safety of participants and staff, Nature’s Backpack may choose to cancel camp. No refunds will be issued.
Park access: Nature’s Backpack may operate in public parks. In very rare circumstances where access to the park has been restricted without notice, camp may be cancelled if an alternative location can not be secured. No refunds will be issued.
Circumstances beyond our control/force majeure: Nature’s Backpack will determine whether a refund is warranted.
Adults Programs and Courses
- A deposit of at least $50 is required for each program registration. Of this, $50 is non-refundable.
Some courses do not have a deposit option and for some courses, a deposit greater than $50 is required.
- A full refund (less $50 non-refundable deposit) will be issued to any cancellation made during the notice period of 28 calendar days or more prior to the start date of the course.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations made 28 days or less prior to the course’s start date.